|Curls can make you look more put-together and add a lot of fun to any look|
It takes just one look at a curling iron to make a lot of women, and especially men, dash in the opposite direction. But those perfect beach curls or elegant ringlets are simply too gorgeous to ignore. So, how to you get these waves and curls without getting a perm, or at least, without burning any skin? We’ll show you how to use a curling iron properly by just following these basic and simple steps!
1. Prep and Prime with the Right Products – Before everything else, prime your hair by protecting it with a hair product that specifically protects the hair from the heat and prevents a lot of damage. Look for hair products that are labelled to do just that. Look for the words “heat” and “protect” or similar on the packaging. They are sold in almost every hair product aisle in your daily drug and beauty stores. Also, using a curling mousse or hairspray can help keep those bouncy waves from losing their spring.
|We love Tresemme Heat Tamer Protective Spray|
Tip: To lessen damage from the heat even further, work with thoroughly dry hair before you attempt to curl (or use any other heat product such as a hairdryer). Wet hair is significantly weaker and more prone to breakage than dry hair.
2. Choosing the Curling Iron
Be sure to choose the right curling iron based on the barrel size and the type of curl you’ve been eyeing. There are many different types of curling irons and each kind gives different types of curls. The bigger the barrel, the bigger the curls. Smaller iron, smaller curls. Easy to remember! When unsure, use a 1 to 1 ½ inch barrel as this will create the most widely used curly looks.
3. Using Your Curling Iron
With the right curling iron in your hand and the hair product to protect your hair from the heat, you’re ready to curl! Be sure to keep the curling iron away from the scalp and roots to prevent injury as this beauty tool can get very hot. Also, be very careful not to get the iron too close to your ears, face, and fingers. Here we go:
|Yes, curling irons can get VERY hot!|
- Divide your hair into sections. The tightness of the curls depends on how thick the section will be. The thicker the section, the less defined the curls will be. Work with one-inch sections if you’re starting out and experimenting.
- Put one section into the iron’s clip and gently slide the iron to the end of the section.
- Roll up the section evenly up to where you want the curl to begin: An inch from your chin? As close to the roots as possible? It’s up to you. Just remember you’re handing a very hot tool!
- Hold the curling iron without releasing the clip for around 10 seconds.
- Release the clip and set the curl. Depending on the style you want, you can set the curl with hairspray for tighter locks or you can gently run your fingers through the curls to produce loose waves.
- Style however you want. Add little braids or clip certain parts. Have fun with your new curls!
Curly hair is never out of style, no matter where in the world you go and no matter the season. With these easy steps plus the right tools and practice, having gorgeous curls is something as easy as 1-2-3-curl!
popPRETTY.com gives you fresh beauty + fashion tips and news daily!Follow us on Twitter!
Join us on Facebook
Join us on Facebook
Email us! contact@popPRETTY.com